Friday, September 4, 2009

Quentin Tarantinos latest Moveis NGlourious Basterds

Despite Tarantino films all containing violence, no two flicks by the eccentric director can be considered indistinguishable. Inglourious Basterds (IB from now on) is no different. The World War II drama isn’t for the faint-hearted: while the violence in Kill Bill can be taken with a pinch of salt, IB sees some sickening torture against terrified Nazi stronghold, although a single memory of the holocaust and your sympathy for them goes right out the window. Perhaps this is a subtle point that is trying to be made. Satire dominates many scenes of this movie. I myself had the misfortune of sitting near a woman with the most dreadful laugh and all of a sudden violence seemed like the way forward in general life. Brad Pitt is easily the biggest name in the picture and gives a stellar performance as Nazi-hating Lieutenant Aldo Raine. While Pitt gives a performance that’s expected of him, Austrian actor Christoph Waltz is easily identifiable as the best character in the movie; his wit, mannerisms and general demeanor make his character, Nazi Colonel Hands Landa, likeable and an instant hit. British audiences of IB might resemble him to British comedian and actor Rob Brydon. I know I certainly did. Many scenes require quick eyes as subtitles are used for a large part of a lot of scenes, but it gives it some authenticity in all fairness, something that is missing from Tom Cruise’s war flick Valkyrie. Some of the scenes, mainly the ones without Raine and his Basterds, are slow-paced and, for lack of a better word, boring. I myself found my chin saddled on my fist during certain parts but looking back I can see that those scenes were necessary. I could definitely do with a second viewing IB. Overall I was a bit disappointed with the film, but I suspect this is because it’s Tarantino and I, like so many, was expecting too much. It’s still a good piece of cinema, although I’d still rate Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill higher for anecdote and entertainment. As a war film in general it’s great, although the comedy elements might be a little off-putting for some, and side from Raine & Landa many of the characters can be seen as largely unremarkable and easily forgettable. What makes stories interesting is that you care about the characters and what they do, and I can’t really say I was all that bothered by the back story involving Shosanna Dreyfus and her revenge against the Nazis. I understood what was trying to be done, but I don’t think it had as dramatic effect as was hoped. Best scenes for me were the opening scene, which sees Hands Landa on his rounds looking for Jews in hiding, and the tense basement scene with allies disguised as Nazis. Mike Myers’ role might make your eyes bulge and reevaluate the entire tone of the film up till that point, but even the man of many faces is forgettable after a short period. All in all you should definitely watch IB if you’re a fan of Tarantino and war films in particular. The zany director has a particularly style matched by none and his work definitely earns the right to be seen. As I’ve said, I’m sure a second viewing, or even a visit to a popular forum, will likely reveal hidden depth and alternative perceptions of IB, though I’m happy to wait for the DVD. I’m still tackling the mysterious briefcase in Pulp Fiction.

Life Style

No comments:

Post a Comment