Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bend It Like Beckham

What do you think when you bend the rules to follow your dreams? Bend it like Beckham is a British film released in the United States in March 2003 which is just an example of bending the rules to follow their dreams!

The film’s title is a reference to the English footballer David Beckham and his skill at scoring from free-kicks by “bending” (curving) the ball (making it swerve as it flies through the air). The film is about the tale of a teenage girl named Jess living in London who loves playing soccer so much. One day when she is playing soccer in the park, she meets a young girl called Jules who also has a passion for soccer. So, Jess decides to join the local amateur women’s football club with her. Lamentably, Jess’s parents disapprove her to do so. You can imagine how upset Jess is when she hears about this. However, when Jess is very dejected about that, her soccer coach gives support to her. At that time, I can strongly tell how touch Jess is!

Parminder Nagra, the leading actress of this film, has done a good job in this film. This time, she acts as the main character, Jess in the story. In my opinion, I like this character most among all. I appreciate her personality very much. Although her parents disapprove her to join the football club, she continues to do so. I’m not saying that we should not defer to our parent’s opinion, but we have to analyze whether it is reasonable or not. And I think Jess has made a correct decision. However, the main reason that I like Jess most is that I appreciate she have the determination to overcome all the obstacles. And I think determination is very important when we are facing any problems.

Besides her, I think the leading actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers, is also fantastic as Joe, the coach of the football team. In the film, he finds that one of his football team members, Jess feels upset. So, he tries to give support to her. For him, I learn that we should help the others in need. And Joe in this story is a good example for us.

The film is divided in different parts. And the part that I enjoy most is the ending. In the end of this story, the parents of Jess understand that how upset her daughter is and accept her to join the football team even though she needs to travel to the other places to have football competitions. I am so glad that Jess can surmount all the obstacles and succeed and make good use of her potential on football. And I think it is suitable to have a happy ending in this film.

All in all, I enjoy this film so much. Of course, I learnt a lot from this film. For instance, help the others, have the determination to overcome all the obstacles, etc. But I think it is not good to have foul language in the film.

New Songs By Shaan

No comments:

Post a Comment